Aims and Objectives
To reintroduce in a safe and professional manner a railway operation between Radstock and Frome, providing the platform for the introduction of a community partnership passenger railway offering journey opportunities to the national passenger network.
- To work within national rail industry standards for train operations, undertaking all activities in a safe, controlled and productive way to ensure the safety and security of volunteers, employees and members of the public who come into contact with the company's operations.
- To manage the company's finances and assets in such a manner as to maximise the benefit for the company and recognise the value that each donation and acquisition means to the company's success.
- To engage in a positive and professional manner with all stakeholders connected with the company's business.
- To seek out and engage appropriate industry expertise and resources to support delivery of this business plan.
- To work in partnership with the Mendip Traction and Rolling Stock Group to operate the train service.
It is the NSR's intention to reintroduce the service along the length of the line between Radstock and Frome in a phased manner. This will not be from one end working towards the other as the condition of the infrastructure in a variety of places does not lend itself to this approach. In order to A) generate interest and drive up patronage, and B) increase the opportunity for additional grant funding, there is a clear need to commence operations from a central point which has been identified as Mells Road. The initial phase of the operation will be Mells Road to Mells. There will at the same time be preparatory works in the Radstock area ready for the line link up in 2018.
There is a lot going on behind the scenes and we intend making our activities more public in the near future. Some key activities currently underway are:
- We are in discussions with Rail Paths Limited and Sustrans with regard to options for a joint rail and cycle path along the length of the route.
- We will soon be engaging with BANES and Mendip as well as Frome and Radstock councils to seek permission to build platforms and operate at various points (planning permission will need to be sought).
- We are preparing our primary submission for a Transport and Works Act railway order to authorise our operation.
- We are engaged with Network Rail with operation into Frome.